Pages

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Broadway (as promised...)

I'm sure you guys were beginning to doubt that I'd ever actually complete this little post.  You know, it's the one I've been saying, "Coming Soon" and, "Up Next" and, "Just Around the Corner... "  Yeah, you guessed it, it's the breakdown of Jessica's

BIG NIGHT ON BROADWAY.

One thing everybody knows about Broadway is that if you want to see an actual show, you have to show up early for tickets.  In New York, people line up days before tickets go on sale, and it wasn't any different for Jessica's production of Annie.














Yeah, it was an hour before they were even going to open the doors on the last and final night of the show and the line still went out the door.  The energy, the excitement, it was palpable.  And do you know the word on everybody's lips out there in a heightened state of anticipation?  No, of course you don't, you weren't even there.  So let me tell you the word... the word on everybody's lips was, "Jessica."

Then, with little fanfare the doors swung open... the crowd cheered and then an eerie hush as everybody looked around wondering, "Would it be OK if I pushed the poor sap in front of me out of the way and RAN IN!"  Alas, good Christian order prevailed and everyone walked in... in order... unable to wipe the grin of wonder off their face.

Shows started Thursday night... the 2nd on Friday night... and the final two on Saturday (matinee and evening show).  After, what seemed like, an eternity the lights dimmed and the theatre teacher Mrs. Novak (could be Miss, I'm not sure...) came out and gave everyone the once over on how audiences on Broadway behave.  I snickered, squeezed Jacob's knee and let everyone SUSH him instead of me.














I'm not sure about the heads in front of me...

As you know, Annie starts in an orphanage at night.  All the kids in bed when the youngest wakes up with a nightmare.

Once the show ended, I took a picture of Jessica and a couple of her thesbian friends-














Blurry picture Audrey, Jessica (I think, maybe Jessica's on the left) and Alyssa (I think she has the plant in her hand)...

Yeah, I know what you're whinning about now.  "Where are the pictures of Jessica in the show?"  I would remind you that this is Broadway, you don't go pushing through the throng theatre goers right in the middle of the show to take a picture.  The lights... distraction... I'm pretty sure Mrs. Novak would have thrown me out.  And then Jessica would "die of embarrassment."

I also feel compelled to remind you that I, unlike my wife, am a GUY.  We don't carry still cameras around... I'm lucky if I remeber my cellphone (with a camera built-in) when I leave the house each morning.  A camera, are you kidding?

Jessica was easily, positively, most absolutely the most talented thesbian in the whole show.  She's probably the most talented in all her entire school.  I looked at her and my heart was broken - "poor orphan, can I adopt her?"  That's what I asked at the end of the show... "Mrs. Novak, can I adopt her?"

No comments:

Post a Comment